Friday, September 11, 2009

Peachy Keen Pork Chops

I know Texas grows great peaches, and I'm not going to put down in any way the state I've lived in for the past 19 years.  But...I will say I still haven't had a peach as good as the ones I had when I lived in Georgia during my high school years.  Very, very close...but not the same.  I am sure it has to do with the climate, the soil, something is just missing.  Maybe it's because I still miss Georgia after all these years. 

I saw huge piles of peaches at the store earlier this week, and wanted to make some peach relish alongside some grilled pork chops.  This is easy, fresh, and just the perfect way to close out the summer here (even though it's really not going to cool off until November).  I made these over the Labor Day weekend, along with a Rustic Peach Pie, because I always get to grilling around those summer holidays. 

You can make the peach relish one day in advance, but it really will not hold up any longer than that...the peaches will get mushy on you.  It's best made early in the day, and then refridgerated until lunchtime/dinnertime. 

Peachy Keen Pork Chops

2 peaches, peeled and thinly sliced (they should be ripe, but not too soft)
1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
salt and black pepper
4 bone-in or boneless pork chops, about 1/2 inch thick
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Take the sliced red onions and put them in a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes.  This will draw out some of the bitterness, and mellow the oniony flavor for the relish. 


Drain the ice water, and pat the onions dry on some paper towels. 


In a large bowl/container, combine the sliced peaches...


the onions, honey, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, mint, a pinch of pepper, and a sprinkling of salt. 


Allow the flavors to meld for at least 1/2 an hour before serving.

Now all we have to do is grill the pork chops.  Season both sides with salt, pepper, and dried thyme. 


Grill over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes per side.  Take care not to overdo it...pork goes easily from tender to a brick.  Pork bricks and peach relish just don't do well together ;-). 

Serve the grilled pork chops with the peach relish.  I made scalloped potatoes (outta a box...just because) and roasted green beans on the side.


This is one of those summertime meals that can't be beat.  And you don't have to heat up the kitchen to make it! 

God bless your table tonight

No comments: