Sunday, November 16, 2008

BBQ Shrimp

This is a fun dish to make 'cause it's got a little attitude to it. I know the title is BBQ Shrimp, but it's really more of a Cajun style shrimp you bake in the oven. The original recipe calls for 1/2 a stick of butter for every 6 shrimp, but you can get away with less. I've cut it back to 2 tablespoons, and it works just fine. Of course, 1/2 a stick would probably be even better...but don't tell on me.

I check the grocery ads and buy the really big shrimp (13/15 per pound) when they go on sale for about $7 a pound. It's still a splurge, but I promise it's worth it. Big, succulent shrimp baked with butter, hot sauce, garlic...need I go on? You won't be sorry, I promise!

Barbecued Shrimp

1 pound very large shrimp (13/15 count per pound)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon hot sauce (Tabasco, Franks, etc,)
2 cloves of garlic, pressed (see pics below)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
Pinch of dried rosemary (I had fresh growing in the back yard, so I used some)
Lemon wedges for serving

Peel and devein the shrimp. If you need help, here's a little tutorial:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/005244how_to_peel_and_devein_shrimp.php
As I peel the shrimp, I throw the shells into an empty plastic grocery bag, and when I'm finished, that bag goes immediately to the trash can outside. If you don't toss it outside, your house will start to smell like shrimp (and it's not the great smell of shrimp cooking okay?).

Now, arrange the shrimp in a small, shallow baking dish.

I'm going to show you another one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.

This garlic press crushes cloves of garlic into itty bitty pieces. I like using it because I can crush a few cloves quickly without having to use a knife. None of my kids ever complain about biting into a piece of garlic because the bits are so small. All you have to do is put a peeled clove of garlic into the little "pocket,"

and squeeze the handle until the garlic comes out of the other side.


In a small, microwave safe bowl, combine the butter, hot sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and rosemary (probably about 1/2 teaspoon of fresh if you're using it).


Nuke on high for about 45 second to 1 minute or until the butter has melted and the mixture has just started to boil. I know...I put the hot sauce in a shot glass...it has measurement lines on it...if you want to shoot some before refilling it for this dish, go right ahead. (I personally cannot down shot glasses of hot sauce, although I know people in college who did for fun).

Pour the tasty concoction over the shrimp, and turn them so they're all nice and coated.

Pop 'em into the oven, at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes, and then crank up the broiler and broil them for 2-3 minutes. Watch them carefully, you don't want to overcook these little babies! You can use slightly smaller shrimp; if you do, adjust your cooking times accordingly.

Squeeze some lemon over the top and serve immediately. I don't even put these out on another plate, I just serve them right in the baking dish. Now go grab some crusty bread and make sure you mop up all the juices left over in the pan after you've devoured the shrimp. Trust me, I know you will!

God bless your table tonight!

No comments: