Thursday, May 14, 2009

Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken

I ran across this recipe while I was searching for a new way to grill some chicken. I was tired of using bottled italian dressing, or a combination of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and maybe some balsamic vinegar. I tried this out...it was delicious, and the kids loved it too.

You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or bone-in thighs/drumsticks. Either one is perfect for grilling...and most grocery stores are selling big packs of chicken these days as it gets closer to summer. (Of course, since today's high was 92, it already feels like summer here in our part of Texas!) I usually get 3-4 packs, break them apart when I get home, and freeze them. Buying the "family" packs is always cheaper.

Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken

2 pounds chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, drumsticks)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a medium bowl, combine the honey, Dijon mustard, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.

I have to show you a picture of my thyme...it is growing like crazy in the backyard right now.


Pat the chicken dry and brush liberally on both sides with the honey mustard mixture.

Heat your grill to medium, and grill for 6-8 minutes on each side. Bone-in chicken pieces will take about 10 minutes longer per side. Brush generously with then honey mustard every few minutes.

Boneless chicken breasts will cook more quickly than bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks, so you will want to take the breasts off sooner. I'm sorry I didn't get pictures during the grilling process...I was running the older kids back and forth from the neighborhood pool. But hey...doesn't it look yummy?


Our kids devoured their plates...swim team practices every day sure builds up an appetite :-). I made some roasted green beans and Sweet Potato Biscuits on the side. Be sure to check out those biscuits once I post the recipe...they were so good! I've made this several times now, and it's been a hit...definitely a keeper for the summer grilling season (which is really year-round here for us!). Let me know if you give it a try :-).


God bless your table tonight!

No comments: