Friday, October 24, 2008

Pioneer Woman's Favorite Enchiladas

There's this website out there that I just love. Ree Drummond ("The Pioneer Woman") was a once-upon-a-time city girl who met a cowboy, married him, and now lives on a ranch in Oklahoma with 4 kids and she home schools them...I'm serious! I'm impatiently waiting for her to write the next chapter of how she met her husband, in "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels." I encourage all of you to join in my addiction. She has a gorgeous website devoted to being a pioneer woman, (not just cooking); here's her link:

I've been dying to make her enchiladas for over a month now, and first saw the recipe while we waited for power to come back on after Hurricane Ike. Well, it got kinda busy after we finally got power back (okay, really busy!), and then that stomach bug hit. No way was I going to make a big pan of enchiladas if the hubby wasn't up for them, because I'm making these enchiladas for my man. He's not a cowboy, but his absolute favorite meal is fajitas, and when I showed him this recipe, well... I won't say what happened exactly. Let's just say I'm hoping everything on the "honey-do" list will be done this weekend!

Another great reason to make these enchiladas--the cilantro has taken off in the garden (it need some time to recover after the hurricane, as did everything else out there; yes, that's a pic of it up there). I try to use what's in the garden because I feel kinda guilty that David spends so much time out there growing stuff, and I either don't get to it in time (and it's rotten) or it's grown to mega proportions when I pick it (like zucchini the size of a linebacker's arm).

I'm sharing the PW's recipe with you all, and I made them exactly the way Ree did, except I used a "mexican blend" shredded cheese because it was on sale. I didn't take any pictures because there is no way I can compete with her photography. Nope...not even
going to try. Here's the direct link to the recipe:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/09/simple-perfect-enchiladas/

I took pictures afterwards so you could see my finished product. But seriously, she does a much better job than I ever could. Roll up your sleeves and get ready to make some incredible enchiladas!

Pioneer Woman's Favorite Enchiladas

FOR THE SAUCE:

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 large (28-ounce) can enchilada or red sauce (I used mild enchilada sauce)
2 cups chicken broth (I used low-sodium)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and flour; whisk together to make a paste, and cook for 1 minute. Pour in other red sauce, chicken broth, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.

FOR THE FILLING:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 4-ounce cans diced green chilies (I used the mild ones)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

In a large skillet, brown the meat with the onions until no longer pink, and drain off the fat. Stir in the diced green chilies and seasoned salt. Turn off the heat and set aside.

FOR THE TORTILLAS:

10 to 14 corn tortillas
½ cup canola oil

Heat the canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat. One by one, using tongs, fry tortillas in the oil until soft, not crisp—about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat until all tortillas have been fried.

TO ASSEMBLE:

Sauce (above)
Meat (above)
Tortillas (above)
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup chopped black olives
1 cup chopped green onions
½ cup chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour about ½ cup red sauce in bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. Spread sauce to coat the bottom. Dip each tortilla into the red sauce, and transfer to a work surface. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of meat, a little grated cheese, a little black olives, and green onions in the center of tortilla. Roll up and place, seam down, in baking pan. Repeat until pan is filled. Pour the extra red sauce over enchiladas, and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.

Sprinkle some more cilantro and green onion over the enchiladas before serving. Oh, and a dollop of sour cream. You really have to do this, it takes the enchiladas over the top.

This was my plate, and I was so impatient, I forgot to put the green onions on. I took my first bite, and oh...mmm...I can't even tell you...there are just no words. It was SO GOOD!

Now, the real test...the hubby. Prior to tonight, he only liked one particular enchilada recipe (I won't say who's for fear of retribution), but I didn't like it because it had refried beans and cream of mushroom soup in the filling, and it called for flour tortillas (blah, yuck, eew!) I've been looking for a simple, authentic recipe for nearly 10 years now. Oops, I regress, back to the hubby's reaction...

He said, "These are very good..." and ate 2 1/2! David didn't quite say he liked these better than that "other recipe," but he did say he'd eat them again for sure. Ye haw!

Good Bless your table tonight!

No comments: