Wednesday, April 29, 2009

One of My Favorites

I came down with bronchitis earlier this week. I'm on the mend, but it's been a slow process...I never though a bad cough would become so exhausting! But I wanted to share this one post with you...and hopefully I'll be up for more serious cooking by the weekend.

I found a loaf of sourdough bread on the reduced rack at Walmart, brought it home, and stuck it in the freezer to save for later. I was rummaging in the pantry looking for inspiration, and saw all the cans of tune we'd bought during Lent. Bingo...tuna salad!

Okay, maybe tuna salad isn't very exciting to you. But most people don't put anything in their tuna except mayonnaise. My grandma showed me how to take a can of ordinary tuna and make it into something "a little more special." So this is in honor of my Grandma Kirby--I love you Grandma!

Grandma Kirby's Tuna Salad

(makes one large or 2 smaller sandwiches)

1 6 ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained
2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons apple (any variety), finely chopped
2 tablespoons toasted, chopped pecans
4 tablespoons light mayo/salad dressing
4 leaves of lettuce/baby spinach
1 teaspoon mustard (I used regular yellow)
Salt and black pepper to taste

Lightly toast 2 slices of sourdough bread and set aside. You can, of course, use any type of bread you'd like...sourdough is just sublime for me :-).

In a medium bowl, combine the tuna, celery, green onion, apple, pecans, mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper.

Pile the tuna salad on one slice of bread, add the lettuce (I used some from the garden), top with the other slice of bread, and consume with relish (like I did!).

God bless your table tonight!

No comments: