Monday, June 29, 2009

Taco Salad Our Way

I'd taken the pics for this post, and then promptly forgot all about it for nearly 3 weeks. Oops. What can I say? Life happens...4 kids home this summer, swim team, Vacation Bible School. Seriously...our summers are just as busy as the school year.

But let us now contemplate the creative genius of the taco salad. Specifically, the way David grew up eating it. I'd had taco salad before of course. My very first job was working in the kitchen of a Mexican restaurant, and I made it many, many times for customers.

But David's version (which he taught me in the early years of our marriage) was quite different from the restaurant standard--a large, fried taco shell, filled with meat, lettuce, cheese...etc. My hubby's family apparently believes a proper taco salad consists of the above said ingredients, but no taco shell. What? Now I've piqued your curiosity, haven't I?

Well, wait no longer. This salad is easy as heck...the kids will love it...and it's inexpensive too. I always make this when the chips and meat are on sale.

Taco Salad

2 pounds ground beef round (use more or less for your family as needed)
1-2 packages dry taco seasoning mix
1 bag Fritos corn chips
1 head green leaf lettuce, washed, spun dry, and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup chopped tomato
2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, or mexican blend works well)
1 8-ounce container guacamole dip
1/2 cup chopped onion/scallions
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 bottle Catalina or French style salad dressing
1 15 ounce can ranch-style beans (optional)
Red or green salsa of choice

In a large skillet, brown the beef, until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. Drain the fat, add the taco seasoning and water according to the package directions, and set aside when done. My chitin's don't like things too spicy, so I use 1 1/2 packages of taco seasoning mix.

Now, everybody has their own way of making taco salad. David does his differently...he uses a huge amount of lettuce, and he likes ranch style beans with his salad. So feel free to make yours however you like.

But here's how I like mine.

Chips first...

Then the meat...

Cheese is next...and I like a lot of cheese!

Then lettuce...

Tomatoes from the garden, aren't they pretty?

Onions, also from the garden, just a sprinkle...

Guacamole (no sour cream, but if you wanted it, fine by me!)....

Green salsa...

Catalina dressing, I know...but it's a nice, tangy contrast with the spicy meat...

And we're done!

Oh wait...I forgot the cilantro!


I love taco salad...everyone eats it in our house.

Would you like to see how Gabriel eats his taco salad?

Isn't he a MESS? And he doesn't care for the meat much...but he LOVES ranch style beans. I'll bet he had 3 servings of beans that night :-).

I hope you're in the mood for Mexican, and try our family's taco salad.

God Bless your table tonight!

1 comment:

Jana said...

clicked on ya from pdub's site! super cute blog!!!! I cant wait to try some of these recipes out!

http://jana-sugarspicelife.blogspot.com