Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Grilled London Broil with Roasted Vegetables


For whatever reason, I haven't bought veggies in a while.  Can't figure out why (brain is not on yet this AM).

Oh yes...now I remember why. 

3 weeks ago, David tore up everything in the garden, (except the pepper plants) roto-tilled for 2 days, and replanted the beds with fall stuff...which means beans, broccoli, lettuce, onions, kale, and a couple of other things I can't recall at this moment. 

It does means in about another month, I'll have some more fresh veggies to pick.  Until then, I had to go see what was at the store yesterday.  Everything was on special, well...everything I wanted to buy anyway ;-).  I bought all of this:


And this doesn't include the bag of baby spinach, a second bunch of asparagus, and the 4 other red peppers I bought ('cause I can't help myself...Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce anyone?).  The asparagus was $1.77 /lb, the peppers were 4 for $5.  What a deal! 

As you know by now, David always keeps his eyes peeled for a good piece of beef.  Last time he went to the store, he saw a London Broil marked down.  I of course, threw it right into the freezer for later.  Later has come folks...and paired with a pan of roasted veggies, this was a quick, simple weekday dinner.

Grilled London Broil with Roasted Vegetables

1 London broil (about 2 pounds) or steak of choice
1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend (like McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak)
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch
1 small yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch
1/2 red onion, quartered
1/2 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed
salt and black pepper
1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 tablespoons olive oil

Season the steak on both sides with the grill seasoning.  Let it hang out in the fridge for a couple of hours.


Meanwhile, prep all your vegetables and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.


Drizzle some olive oil on a large sheet pan.  Toss the vegetables with the salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, basil, and a little more olive oil.  Then spread it out on the sheet pan. 


Mama always said, "You need to eat your vegetables!"  Don't forget to call her and tell her you did.  (No need to thank me...and you're welcome ;-).


Roast the vegetables for about 20 minutes, or until they're tender (but not soft...we want a bit of crunch still).  Give the pan a little shake and rotate it about halfway through the cooking time. 

While the veggies are roasting, let's grill the steak up.  I like London Broil on the rare side, but you cook your beef the way you want to.  I grilled ours over medium flame on the gas grill outside for about 8 minutes per side. 


Let the steak rest for a good 10 minutes before serving.  This redistributes all the juices and the beef will stay nice and tender.

Serve the steak with the roasted veggies on the side.


If you prefer other vegetables, by all means roast 'em instead of using what I did.  My kids love roasted green beans, and Roasted Broccoli, (which comes out especially good with the broccoli from our garden). 

So there you have it, a steak dinner, with vegetables and no guilt involved.  Unless you eat a brownie afterwards, which I most certainly did not do. 

Okay...I did.  But I only had half of it.  I gave Gabriel the other half.  He was happy.  I mourned. 

God bless your table tonight!

No comments: