Friday, December 19, 2008

Roasted Broccoli with Pecorino Romano Cheese

All right, here is the second veggie post today, roasted broccoli. We are finally getting some little heads of broccoli in the garden. We had to wait a while for the plants to recover from Hurricane Ike. But I had to succumb and buy broccoli at the store for this post (sniff). I just cannot wait to try roasting some home-grown broccoli. If you are fortunate enough to grow your own, you can shave about 5 minutes off the cooking time, since homegrown broccoli is smaller and more tender than store bought.

God bless your table tonight!
Still this came out just fine. I still am using the same block of pecorino romano cheese from earlier this fall. I bought it at SAM's, and I keep it in the freezer, and use a microplane grater to grate the cheese right off the block. If you don't have percorino romano, regular grated parmesan cheese will work too.


This is easy, quick, and delicious. Admittedly, Rebecca is the one who will eat broccoli, but darn if she eats enough for all four of 'em (that's my girl!).

Roasted Broccoli with Pecorino Romano Cheese


2-3 broccoli crowns, rinsed and patted dry
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil for drizzling
Pecorino Romano/grated parmesan cheese


Here's the broccoli about to go under the knife. I use a big cutting board, so those little bits that go flying will hopeful land within the vicinity of the aforesaid board. But I know I'll find some tiny green bits tomorrow on the floor, behind the faucet, in my teeth...oh well.



Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.



Cut the broccoli into florets, you can also do this by hand. One you get down to the last bunch, cut it into half or thirds.

Drizzle the broccoli with some olive oil, you shouldn't need more than a couple of tablespoons. I've seen some TV chefs just pour that stuff on. I love olive oil, but not that much. And I can't speak for anyone's cardiologist...I'm doing the best I can here people! So, use just enough to coat the broccoli, it should look shiny, but not drenched. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and garlic, and give everyone a toss to evenly distribute the seasonings.

Now either sprinkle generously with grated pecorino romano/parmesan cheese. I wish I could video the cheese as I grate it on...it looks like snow (that's what my kids say). I love this part...

Even if you're not broccoli's biggest fan, you can't tell me that doesn't look pretty (or edible for that matter). Come on, you know it!

See, perfectly harmless, right? It's just broccoli people...

Roast the broccoli for about 15 minutes, or until you see the cheese turn golden brown, and the stalks are tender.


We had the broccoli along with the sweet potato fries and an awesome, premarinated pork loin roast David found at SAM's in the clearance section of the meat case. He found some beautiful steaks too; can't wait to grill those babies up. I love SAM's...David always finds some great meat to satisfy his carnivore cravings, lol.

So there you are, two vegetable recipes before the pig out during Christmas next week. But...I plan to post a couple of cookie recipes, so be sure to check back here for some sugar!

God bless your table tonight!

No comments: