Thursday, December 18, 2008

David Makes Toffee Squares

Normally, I do not allow my husband in my kitchen. (Yes, it's my kitchen). He can make breakfast (eggs, pancakes, waffles, etc), but that's it. I confess I am a neat freak, and the thought of someone making a mess in my domain drives me nuts.

Case in point...last night, my plan was to get the Christmas cards done, ready to mail today. David promised to help, (first time ever!) so I was hoping to have everything done by 10PM so I could go to bed.

So I though....

Then David said he was going to make batch of cookies. One of his coworkers has a cookie exchange every year, and he wanted to make them himself this time (I bailed him out last year). Immediately, I wanted to stop him. The kitchen was all nice and clean, and I just didn't want him to do it. My inner voice was crying, "Noooooo!"

Sigh...I decided to just let it go. Very hard for me...the neat freak. But I made him promise to clean everything up, which he did. He even washed the mixer bowl, dried it, and put it back in the cabinet along with the mixer itself. I was impressed.

So here it is...Toffee Squares. Although I don't know why they're called by this name...they don't taste anything like toffee. But they are good, and involve butter, chocolate, and nuts...a winning combination in my book. I didn't take any pictures during the making and baking process, because I was working on the Christmas cards (David did help once the bars were in the oven). And we didn't make it into bed until after 11PM. Oh well...David was happy to make cookies, I was happy the Christmas cards got done. And there was no fighting involved...thank goodness!

Toffee Squares

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cup all purpose flour
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup)
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a stand mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg,vanilla, and salt. Mix for a minute or 2. Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, and mix until just combined.

Spread this on to 2 ungreased cookie sheets (about 11x13). There is enough butter in the mixture, so it won't stick, I promise! Use your hands or a flat spatula to pat the dough down firmly into a layer about 1/4 inch thick.

Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, until the dough is set, and lightly browned. Remove from the oven, and sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Return the pans to the oven for about 5 minutes, or just long enough to melt the chocolate. Use a offset spatula to spread the chocolate evenly over the top--don't worry about making it perfect. Immediately sprinkle with nuts or sweetened coconut flakes, and cut into bars (easier to do while they're still warm).

This makes about 4-5 dozen bars, depending on how small/big you cut them.

God bless your table tonight!

No comments: