Saturday, December 6, 2008

Potato Pancakes with Smoked Salmon

Once I saw Nigella Lawson make these on TV, I was hooked. I've made them for many a party...and everyone goes nuts over them. They look fancy, but they are so easy to make...you're gonna kick yourself.

I have this recipe off the Food Network website, but their version fails to mention one critical part of the recipe. It doesn't tell you how much sour cream and horseradish to use...and I really think those ingredients make this appetizer. So I figured it out by trial and error how much you need, and I've included them in this post.

You can make the little potato pancakes in advance and freeze them. When you're read to use them, just thaw until they are at room temperature. Trust me...you'll be making these all the time too!

Potato Pancakes with Smoked Salmon

(adapted from Nigella Lawson, makes about 30 pieces)

3/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 spring onions/scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 10-ounce package smoked salmon
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 4 ounce packet of fresh dill

In a large bowl (I like using my medium-sized Pyrex measuring cup), combine the potato flakes, eggs, milk, olive oil, flour, scallions, baking powder, and lemon juice. Don't use a whisk, it'll just get all clogged up. But do mix this well--not to death of course, just be sure it's all combined thoroughly. It will be the consistency of thick pancake batter.

Oh, I like using this brand of instant potatoes, because one package contains exactly 3/4 cup.

Heat a grill pan/skillet over medium heat. I used my large grill pan, because we're essentially making really little pancakes. Grease the pan/griddle with a paper towel dipped in some olive oil. You don't have to use very much at all...just a light coating is plenty. I don't recommend vegetable oil, the flavor of it doesn't compliment the finished dish.

Drop one small spoonful (about 1 1/2 teaspoons) into the hot pan/griddle, and spread it around just a bit, you're going for a diameter of about 1 1/2 inches. Sorry to be so precise...bigger or smaller is fine...I like mine bite-sized so they're easy for people to eat.

Let the pancakes cook for about 2 minutes on one side, or until the edges are set...you may also see a couple of tiny bubbles breaking through the surface. Give them a flip, they should be a light golden brown, and let the other side cook for another 2 minutes.

Once the pancakes are done, remove to a paper towel lined plate. The paper towels remove any excess oil.

Now let's prep the salmon. I buy this particular brand of smoked salmon at Kroger, one package is just the right amount, and if it's on special, I can get it for $3.99.

Tear the salmon into pieces a little smaller than the pancakes, about this big...

For the rest of the topping, mix the horseradish and sour cream together in a small bowl.

Spoon a very small dollop (about 1/2 teaspoon) onto each pancake, add a piece of smoked salmon, and garnish with a tiny sprig of the fresh dill. Even if you're not crazy about dill, you must not leave it off, it works so well with the salmon.

Aren't these cute? And delicious, and fairly healthy...I used skim milk and light sour cream, and they turned out just fine. I'll bet you could use the egg beaters too...and they're fat free.

Take these to your next party, baby shower, family reunion; enjoy the "oohs,"and "ahhs," and any other compliments you get. God bless your table tonight!

1 comment:

Chic Mama said...

They were delicious, thanks for bringing them to the party.