Friday, June 18, 2010

Blackberry Trifle with Lime

I've got several posts in the works, but they were all put on hold this week after we went berry picking and bought some local peaches at the farm.  I had to show y'all what we did with the our bummer crop of fruit! 

I spend 2 days making homemade freezer jam...which turned out mighty fine, if I do say so myself. ;-).  We've been enjoying it on toast, in oatmeal, and frankly, just on a spoon too. 

I'd been doing my usual surfing on the web to see what else I could do with fresh blackberries and peaches.  I also wanted to make something light, since both David and I are trying to watch our waistlines right now.  So I came up with not one, but 2 desserts for your sweet tooth.  Yes, you can thank me later!

Blackberry Trifle with Lime

Makes 4 servings

2-3 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed and patted dry
Juice and zest from one lime
1 store-bought angel food cake (more power to you if it's homemade ;-)
1 container whipped topping, thawed in fridge

In a medium bowl, combine the blackberries, lime juice, and lime zest.  Mix gently to avoid crushing the berries.

Cut or tear the angel food cake into bite-sized pieces. 

You can make this dessert in either one large trifle in a glass bowl, a glass trifle dish, or individual parfait glasses.  Either way, this is one of tthose desserts you can't make in advance, otherwise the cake will get soggy.  But it's so easy and takes no time at all.   

Place a few pieces in the bottom of your serving dish.  Top with a few berries, and then a spoonful of the whipping topping.

Repeat the layers 2 more times. 

Finish with a nice dollop of the whipping topping, and garnish with a couple of fresh blackberries and a sprig of mint.  My mint in the backyard is doing so well this year...it's a bush!

See...that was easy wasn't it?  The lime juice and zest really compliment the blackberries, even David mentioned it.  My husband doesn't talk much while he's eating...that means he really liked it.
We had trifle two nights in a row to use up all the cake.  The second time, we tried using our peach freezer jam...it was heavenly.
This recipe works with any kind of frui or fruit preserves...try strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, pineapple, mango...anything you like!  Or go crazy and use your favorite combination. 
I hope you make this soon.  It's perfect on a hot summer night, and you don't have to turn on the oven. 
God bless your table tonight!

No comments: