Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wordless Wednesday--Do you know what this is?

This is the first harvest of swiss chard from our garden (althought it's been ready to pick for weeks now).  I just don't get out to the garden as often as I should.  But these greens are easy to grow, and easy to cook.  Just wash, dry, chop roughly (including the stems), and steam with a little bit of water in a big, covered skillet or pot.  When the stems are tender (but not mushy), it's done.  Season with salt and pepper, and serve in shallow bowls with a drizzle of apple cider vinegar. 

Swiss chard is also a very nutritious green...high in vitamins A, C, and K, and iron.  David planted some for us to eat this winter because it's especially good for me right now.  My iron count is a tad low this pregnancy, so eating swiss chard should be beneficial for me, and the baby. ;-)

So here's what we ate for dinner last night, Oven Baked Catfish, and Braised Swiss Chard.  I admit, out of all the kids, only Rebecca will eat the swiss chard, but that's fine...more for David and I. ;-)

I hope to post again very soon, I miss blogging and sharing recipes with y'all!  I just haven't had the energy to post recipes, although I am still cooking nearly every night for the fam.

I guess this was not such a wordless post after all, but I hope you get yourself some swiss chard and get cookin.'  Your momma would be proud of you for eating your greens!

No comments: