Monday, March 19, 2012

Kale Chips

David has been busy this weekend, tearing out the old, winter plants from the garden, tilling the soil, and planting new vegetables for the spring.  I told not to touch the 3 huge kale plants until yesterday, because I wanted to make some kale chips.  

I'd made one batch of kale chips a few weeks ago, but I didn't take any pictures...it was late when I finished, and my lighting would have been terrible.  This time, I had plenty of good light, and lots of time to take good pictures so you all could see for yourself.  
Kale chips have been growing in popularity lately.  They're easy to make, healthy, and kids love them.  Not all my kids like them, but Rebecca and Theresa can't get enough of them!  David ate up the whole first batch I made in less than 2 days.  So I made sure to make 5 batches this time! 

Kale Chips

1-2 large bunches of kale
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt to taste
Brown sugar (about 1/4 cup total)

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. 

Wash and dry the kale leaves.  It's very important to dry the leaves thoroughly.  Otherwise, the kale will steam in the oven instead of crisping up into chips.  

Can you believe this kale that came out of our backyard?  It covered half of the kitchen island!

Pull the green leafy sides away from the rib in the middle of each leaf.  It will take a bit of time, but I've found the tough, middle rib doesn't bake up well in the oven, so it's best to remove it. 


Now tear the leafy parts into bite-sized pieces.  Continue until you have a bowlful.  

In the bowl, toss the kale with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Be careful not to use too much.  Start with a tablespoon of oil, and add a bit more if necessary.  The leaves should be lightly coated with oil and not saturated.  

Spread the kale pieces out on 2 baking sheets lined with aluminum foil.  They shouldn't be overlapping by much...try to keep them in a single layer.  This will ensure each piece bakes up properly.  (Don't be like me.  The first time, I didn't use foil, and even though I spraying the baking sheets with cooking spray, some of the chips stuck, and they couldn't be salvaged.  Trust me, use some foil, parchment, or silpat sheets!)

Sprinkle each piece with a bit of salt and brown sugar.  You will love the salty-sweet taste in the end!

Bake the kale at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the chips are dry and crispy.  It might take a bit less time in your oven (mind were done in 18 minutes), so watch the first batch carefully.  

Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to an airtight container.  The chips will keep for about a week...but I seriously doubt they will last that long!  

I was lucky to have so much kale to use up from the garden.  You may not find much for kale at the grocery store now, since it's a cold weather vegetable.  Nevertheless, I hope you get a chance to make these chips before it gets hot and summery!  

Happy snacking, and God bless your table tonight! 

1 comment:

TheSavvyKitchen said...

I gave you an award on my blog :) http://www.savvykitchen.blogspot.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html