Friday, July 20, 2012

Fig Pizza with Prosciutto, Caramelized Onions, and Goat Cheese

 David came home with a jar of whole, preserved figs last week.  I've never used them before, so I hit the internet to see what recipes would pop up.  I saw one for a pork roast, but we just finished off these pork chops...so I didn't want to put more on the table.  I'd seen recipes for fig pizza before, and decided to try it, since it would be simple, and I could have a cheese/pepperoni option for the kids.

So I made this over the weekend, and I'm tellin' you...it was delicious.  The only part that was time consuming were the onions.  I probably cooked 'em for about an hour.  Caramelized onions can't be rushed...but they are so worth it if you've got the time.  And if you don't have whole, preserved figs, fig preserves are a fine substitute. 

Fig Pizza with Prosciutto, Caramelized Onions, and Goat Cheese

One recipe homemade pizza dough, or 1 tube refrigerated pizza dough (we like the "thin" crust)
2 medium or one large red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
About 16 small preserved whole figs (roughly chopped), or about 1/2 cup fig preserves
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
2 ounces fresh goat cheese
3 ounces prosciutto, torn into pieces

In a medium skillet over low heat, heat the olive oil.  Add the red onion and cook slowly, stirring frequently for 45 minutes to one hour, or until the onions are almost dry, and deep purplish/brown in color. (Regular white/yellow onions work well too).  If you don't that much time, just cook them for as long as you can.  Set aside.  

Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 400.  If you're using a homemade dough, spread it out and prebake it for 5 minutes.  Do the same thing if you're using a premade, refrigerated dough.  

Spread the chopped figs/fig preserves over the crust.  It may not look like it's enough, but you don't want this to be overly sweet.  Sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper, and the thyme.  Scatter the prosciutto over the spices.  Then distribute the onions over the top, and dot with pieces of goat cheese.  

Return the pizza to the oven, and back for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until the crust is deep golden brown.  The goat cheese will get very soft, but will not melt completely.  

Slice and serve immediately.  


 David, Rebecca, and I practically inhaled this.  I made another pizza (cheese and pepperoni) for the rest of the kids.  I will say one thing...this is a "dry" pizza, meaning there's no sauce at all.  You may prefer it as an appetizer instead of the main course.  Next time I make it, I'll reduce some balsamic vinegar to use as a base sauce.  (Just take 2 cups of balsamic vinegar and simmer until reduced by at least half, and is the consistency of maple syrup).  I think that, along with a touch more thyme and pepper, will be a nice compliment to the salty prosciutto and tangy goat cheese.  

This would a perfect treat to make for a cocktail party, ladies night out, or just for a quiet night in. :-).  Everyone loves pizza...and it's a nice change from your usual tomato-cheese combination. 

Hope you're enjoying your summer.  God bless your table tonight!

PS...You may have noticed I'm not posting as many pictures as I usually do.  I really love taking pictures of every step, but I just don't have the time these days.  It's tricky trying to hold the camera while a baby is tugging/fussing/crying at your knees too. So for now, less pictures, but hopefully plenty of details regarding each recipe so you won't miss a thing. ;-)

No comments: