Thursday, February 25, 2010

Herb Crusted Shrimp

This recipe is really intended as an appetizer, so I served these little babies the night of the Super Bowl, but the leftovers were excellent the following night over a big green salad.  I'd just gotten my new Food Network Magazine a week earlier, and once I saw this recipe, I knew I wanted to try it (with a couple of tweaks, of course. ;-)

If you're looking for a new way to make shrimp...give this recipe a go. :-) They're so easy to make...I guarantee this will become one of your favorite recipes for shrimp.

I'm posting this now so you can make it on Friday...pics will follow this weekend!

Herb Crusted Shrimp
Adapted from Food Network Magazine

1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup olive oil
1 whole lemon
1 small handful fresh parsley, chopped
1 small handful fresh thyme, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined

Preheat the broiler on high.

I bought these shrimp with the heads on...this is what you want to get if you can.  Save the heads and shells to make stock if you're into that sort of thing.  I decided not to do that today...so I pitched 'em into the trash...outside (otherwise you will smell fish in the morning...and not in a good way!). 

Just pull the heads and shells off, and devein them.  Don't be afraid...they're not going to bite you!

See?  They're like people...they clean up real good. 

In a medim bowl or other shallow dish, combine the panko, olive oil, the juice AND zest of the lemon, and the chopped fresh herbs.  Season with salt and pepper.

Coat the shrimp with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing firmly on both sides.  I've found the easiest way to bread these is to essentially bury them in the crumbs and use my fingers or a fork to really push the crumbs in.  Lay the breaded shrimp out on a non-stick baking sheet.  Take any leftover breading and sprinkle it over the top. 

Broil for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.  Do not leave the kitchen while you're broiling the shrimp...burnt shrimp are not pretty, nor do they taste good! You'll see mine are just a tad dark, and I broiled 'em for barely 4 minutes. 

Remove from the oven...careful, they'll be hot!  Serve the shrimp immediately...garnish with additional fresh herbs if desired. 

I made some simple roasted baby carrots and broccoli on the side, and put a wedge of lemon on the plate too...it's the final touch that really takes the shrimp over the top. 

Note:  The original recipe called for parsley, basil, and chives.  I used parsley, thyme, and rosemary because that's what I had on hand.  And like I said, the leftover shrimp were really, really good over a salad the next day.  These would be great served over rice pilaf, or with a green vegetable.  But next time, I'm making a shrimp po'boy with these.  Now doesn't THAT sound good? 

David came home late for dinner, but polished off his plate in under 10 minutes, even with a wriggly toddler on his lap.  He said they were "delicious." ;-)

Enjoy...and God bless your table tonight!

1 comment:

Alexis D. said...

yummy! and shrimp is on sale at my grocery store this week!!