Friday, June 1, 2012

Dump Cake--Three Ways! (minus a few pics)
































Yikes.  I looked at the date of my last post.  Time flies when you're busy!  Ah well.  Today is the last day of school for my kiddos. I'm making brownies tonight as a special surprise, and I have not one, but THREE recipes for you today.  

I can't believe I haven't posted about this cake yet.  I first tasted this at a CCL potluck dinner years ago.  It was easy and a cinch to make.  I realized you could change up the ingredients and make it according to your tastes, or the season.  

I want to go ahead and say I don't have pictures of the apple dump cake.  I though if I showed ya'll  how to make the other two, you would figure it out. ;-)  And...I didn't have the ingredients on had either.  That's my confession for the day!

I think the Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake is great for the winter.  The Caramel Apple Dump Cake just says, "fall!"  And the Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake is perfect for a spring/summer picnic or barbeque.  Any one of these cakes can be made at the last minute, and is ready to serve in 45 minutes.  Can't beat that when you're a crazy, busy mom, right? 

Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake

2 cans cherry pie filling (and don't use the "reduced sugar" or "light" stuff, bleh!)
1 box chocolate or devil's food cake mix
Chocolate syrup, about 1/3 cup
1 stick of butter, melted (none of that margarine stuff either!)
1 package (2 ounces) sliced pecans/almonds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  

Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.  Pour in the cherry pie filling, and spread it evenly.  Drizzle over the chocolate syrup.  Not too much, you want to see the cherries.  Next, sprinkle over the cake mix...it will be a thick layer.  Spread it out evenly.  Now pour the butter over the cake mix...and don't skimp.  Paula Deen would probably use 2 sticks of butter!

Sprinkle the pecans/almonds over the top (I was out of pecans, so I used almonds).  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until you see the cake bubbling just a little around the edges.  Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. 


Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake

2 cans blueberry pie filling, or 4 cups fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 box lemon cake mix
1 stick of butter, melted
1 package (2 ounces) sliced almonds (or nuts of your choice)

Lightly grease a 9x13 pan baking dish.  Pour in the blueberry pie filling or fresh blueberries (fresh berries are in season right now, the pie filling is great for winter time).  Drizzle over the sweetened condensed milk (some recipes I've seen call for a can of crushed pineapple).  Spread over the lemon cake mix, and pour the butter evenly over the top.  Finish with the sliced almonds.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until you see the cake bubbling gently around the edges.  Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.  

Caramel Apple Dump Cake

2 cans apple pie filling
1/4 cup caramel syrup/sauce
1 box spice cake mix (yellow or white cake mix is fine too!)
1 stick of butter, melted
1 package (2 ounces) chopped pecans  

Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.  Dump in the apple pie filling and spread evenly.  Pour on the caramel syrup/sauce.  It's really sweet, so go very sparingly with this one.  Spread the cake mix evenly over the top.  Drizzle with the melted butter, and finish with the pecans.  See why this is called a dump cake?  You literally dump everything into the pan, and the oven does the rest. :-)

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until you see little bubbles around the edges of the cake.  Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.  

And now of course...pictures to prove how simple this is!








And of course, silly me forgot to take a picture of them once they came out of the oven.  Sorry!

I gave both cakes to David to take to work, with strict orders not to bring them home, since I was already making brownies that night for the kids.  He said the desserts went over very well with the office staff, especially the Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake.  Score!

My kids are out of school now, and are happily tearing the house apart.  Okay...not really, but it sure looks like it!  Happy summer y'all!

God bless your table tonight!

No comments: